Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Freedom, Tolerance and Memories

It's all for nothing if you don't have freedom...memorable lines from a legendary movie, Brave Heart (Respect).And yes, freedom is what I have got now. This semester’s final exams have just ended and I am FREE for three months. Yes, I am free from studies, but there is still the job that I have to go to (remember that painting job?).

You see man (or woman-yes I know that there are some die hard feminists in the crowd who are reading this), is never actually free. If he gets free from one thing, then he gets trapped by another and so on and so forth. That's why-as I have figured out- life is all about struggle. You struggle to be free from studies and then you get caught in your job, then you get free your job and you get caught by this gigantic mountain of bills and expenses and then you run again after the job again so that can get enslaved again and then the process starts all over. Then there are other kinds of freedom as well, like freedom from marriage, freedom from responsibilities, freedom OF mind etc etc.

Personally, I think that freedom of mind is really very important. When your mind is free from the shackles and constraints of bias, then you begin to see the world in a different way, but then in this process your existing ideas and beliefs that have been engrained in your mind for such a long time might get shattered and that could sometimes be a bit painful, to say the least.

But how much freedom should actually be allowed, of course nobody can (and shouldn't) control your mind, but the product of that free mind should be constrained. Yes, I am talking about freedom of speech. See, I am all for freedom of speech and stuff but I really do believe that too much freedom to share your ideas might do more harm than good. Just a tiny example: if you don’t like somebody else’s religion or beliefs then its perfectly fine. It’s perfectly all right to disagree, but then to actually come out in the open openly rant about their hatred of religion. Now that's what I call...pathetic. If you really disagree with the person then say it to his or her face why go on the wire to spread your hatred. That is precisely the area where I think that there should be some checks and balances. No matter what I do, what I believe in, whatever I do for the being that I believe in, whatever I eat, drink and wear should be of no one's concern. But then, the world is full intolerant people as it was before. Not much change has occurred in this world as far as human social intellect is concerned.

Anyways, my exams went fine (I guess) and I don’t know what I have written on my papers. All I can remember is just an untidy scrawl on papers and that’s it. It’s like when I am doing the paper my oneself is sleeping and another self is doing the paper and when the paper is finished that self goes to sleep again, only to wake up on the next paper and the original self comes to life again and can’t really remember what I have written in the paper. Strange, but I think that it happens to most of you as well. :)...just saying.

Lastly, I want to thank all my classmates to have been such good friends and made the university life quite enjoyable (it’s actually the only place where I happen to enjoy myself). But now we have this three-month vacation and I hope that most of us would come back looking a bit changed. Some would look remain just the same, some of them would get a haircut or a beard and some will come back to look even more beautiful than ever. So when I look back at these 5 months many memories come flooding into my mind, some good, some bad, some sweet and some...nasty. Like the free lunches in the orientation festival, Dr Mei Tai Chu's first EIS class, that cold morning when I came to Dr Suzanne's class wearing a sandal ( brrr), buying books from Paul in the middle of night ( hehe), walking 20 minutes every day to the university, Yawning and sleeping in Dr Suzanne's lectures ( bless her :)) having fun in Belal Chowdry's class, then the first BID assignment, then the midterms, the memorable presentations (hahaha), staying up all night typing the assignments ( all those Red-Bulls and Schweppes), leaving the library late in the night, eating in the Agora and of course Muhammad Hadjevani's tutorials ( action packed stuff :D), shweeet Ms.Tharanga's Goonasekara's tutorials. And of course, nobody can ever ever forget Rajiv Khosla and SAP (you just can’t) and for those who missed the last lecture, he actually brought that robot (Nancy or whatever was her name) to the class and made it dance on the floor. Memories :)...listen to Elaine Paige’s Memory from the musical Cats. It’s enchanting.

And on that happy note I wish a good night (or good day-wherever you reside) to you and rush to bed because I have to wake up at six in the morning.

See you later

Byee


No comments:

Post a Comment

Number of Visitors